Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lemongrass: Plant and Tea Benefits

 As I write this, I am enjoying a cup of Lemongrass Tea myself. :)

I got introduced to this plant by my uncle, who was planting this in front of their house sometime last year. He said he's planting some near the doorway because it helps in keeping mosquitoes away. He said we should plant some in ours as well.

I said, "Yeah, right." Plants don't keep mosquitoes away.

I got Dengue Fever a few months after.

Well.

I don't know if I could've prevented that freaking mosquito from biting me but now that I'd already gotten sick, I can't risk another bite anymore! Dengue can be fatal the second time around, ya know.

Lemongrass is pretty easy to grow.

gardeningblog.net says:

"Home gardeners don’t typically start lemongrass plants from seed because it is so easy to start by just rooting stalks or cuttings.
Actually, you may even be able to start a new lemongrass plant from fresh stalks you purchase at the regular grocery store. As long as they are still firm and green, you should be able to get them to root. Snip off an inch or two from the end of the leaves, and put the base end in a glass of water. Leave somewhere sunny, and you should start to see roots sprouting from the bottom of the stalk in about a week or two.
Once your stalk has roots at least an inch long, you can either plant it in a container for indoor growing or take it right out into the garden."

 I swear they grow so fast! And because they do, my uncle takes some and makes lemongrass tea.

I googled Lemongrass Tea uses and benefits and so far, here's what I've found:

- If you drink before bedtime, it helps with insomnia
- Relieves nausea
- Aids in digestion
- Helps relieve constipation
- Has vitamin A for clearer eyesight and brighter skin
- Has calming effect
- Has antioxidant properties that help keep liver, pancreas and even your skin healthy
- Helps keep cholesterol levels down
- Helps regulate blood pressure
- Helps relieve PMS symptoms - yay!
- Prevents cramps
- Fights arthritis
- Prevents anemia
- Prevents osteoporosis

*IMPT: Lemongrass tea is not recommended for pregnant wome.

Also, I've read somewhere that people living in faraway places use lemongrass tea on sick people to relieve them of whatever symptoms they're having before they can take the person to a doctor. They said it lowers the temperature of those who have fever.

If you know more lemongrass tea benefits or uses, tell me below in the comments!

Phew! Now, I can't vouch for all that but I can definitely say it helped me with constipation haha. Is that embarrassing to say? Whatever. The others, no chance to observe, I guess. I mean, I only gave in because of the whole constipation thing so as long as it does that job then I'll be drinking this forevuhh.

Also, one time I went out to have lunch with my mom, I got car sick on the way over to the restaurant so I ordered the lemongrass tea to just sniff it. lol. It worked! I felt better! Now, I always order that when I go to Pizza Volante here in Baguio. The only other restaurant here that I know serves lemongrass tea is Everything Nice.

Because I love the food in both restos, and they both serve lemongrass tea, both are highly recommended!

Pizza Volante has branches in:
-Session Road (right side, going up)
-Romulo Drive (beside Wright park and Ketchup Food Community)
-Camp John Hay Technohub

Everything Nice Branches:
-Camp John Hay Technohub
-SM City Baguio (but this one's just a dessert stall, not sure if they serve lemongrass tea over there.)

Know more places that serve this tea here in Baguio or in Manila? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...